15 Mar 2016

Why Do You Blog?


When I first heard B-L-O-G, I thought it was something way so big that I wouldn't fit in that space. I had other interests, and so I did not even give it a thought of getting to know what it is exactly. Plus it involves writing, which is why I came to a conclusion that blogging was not my type. Among the people I’m close to, my cousin started a personal blog and I was like, Wow she is awesome; she owns a blog. And later I came across an Islamic blog by my friend. That's when, I started giving it a thought, a bit seriously. If they can blog, can’t I? I am as good as them. Or even better?!


Somehow the thought drove me to create a blog and here I am… after 3+ years. I have created my own space in this world where I have met some wonderful people and got a chance to befriend with quite a few. Isn't it amazing?

My mother sometimes argues with me for not helping her in the household but I sit with my laptop like I am typing this right now. She asked me 'Why do you have to blog?'

Ah, good question! Why do I blog? Before I give her a reply, I want to know the answer for myself. 

Frankly, I started this blog, only to escape from my reality; to vent out my mood swings. I was going through a difficult phase in my life, almost losing my identity, and blogging helped me to identify who I am.. to value me.. to respect me for what I am.

I am not going to say that I love writing since my childhood, because I haven't written much apart from my study materials or few times helping my little cousins in their essay writing competition. Oh yeah, those letters that I mailed to my cousins abroad. But No, I never wrote anything personally like expressing myself in a diary or keeping a journal. I am not at all that kind. 

But ever since I created this blog, for my own reason, I have the urge to write. At the beginning, I was not serious about blogging, cos I did not even have a topic to write about. Slow and steady, I built this blog, brick by brick.. and shaped it to what it is now. It was my hobby once, but over the months, I write with love and passion.

Now that I love blogging and I am so much passionate about it, I am sourcing it as a medium to express my creativity and share it with the world. Well, as for my mom's question, I can give a long answer. Like.. I enjoy writing.. I get good opportunities.. I learn new things.. I meet amazing people.. blah blah.. It's true, but really is that all?

Well, there's much more to it, and the answer is simple. I blog because it makes me feel important. It gives me hope. It makes me feel productive. Imagine, I being a small town girl, tied up with so many complexities, can run a blog with a laptop and a WiFi connection and bring a change to myself and a person or two; spread some happiness and smiles while you read my post, isn't that wonderful? Isn’t that something I can be proud of myself? Now that makes me feel very good about me. And I believe that's more important while doing things.. anything as a matter of fact.



This is the era where internet rules. And I am not just idling online and wasting my time stalking profiles or sending random messages to people. I channelize my energy into something good and efficient and it is productive for I am getting returns. I am happy to have found a platform to express my thoughts in a creative way as much as possible.

Well, I blog because it makes me feel proud about myself.

Tell me, why do you blog?

38 comments:

  1. [ Smiles ] I blog for the fun of it and I always try to improve my blogging skills on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog Learn Improve - the best loop to be in :)

      Delete
  2. YES BLOGGING MAKES ME FEEL IMPORTANT.

    Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You said it girl. I blog for myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back. Thanks, Red. :)

      Delete
  3. Blogging is indeed a part and parcel of life. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Thank you Maitreni :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that blogging has given you a creative outlet to express yourself and help you through rough times. I blog because I enjoy writing and I want people to read my writing. I also blog to record my life like a diary. Sometimes, I re-read old blog posts I made and I remember old times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Glad to know that blogging serves as a diary of your life. Thanks, Carlyn :)

      Delete
  5. I write because I feel good about it, a slight variation to why you do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all our reasons intersect at some point. Thanks, Alok :)

      Delete
  6. I blog because it gives me the editorial freedom to write whatever I want! It gives me the freedom to be me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the crux of blogging. Hope to see you more often here, Khushboo :)

      Delete
  7. I do it because it helps me connect with my inner self!
    Happy to read about you and your reasons... 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know yours as well Archana :)

      Delete
  8. Blogging is something much makes me realize my existence, provides me opportunity to read thought, articles etc of talented people.. And helps in interacting with lovely people of this blogging world..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bunch of reasons are lovely, Anjali. :)

      Delete
  9. I write mostly to give vent to my harassed, frustrated, simmering inside and to feel lighter this way. That my poetry is well received is an added bonus:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry is one of the ways to feel light. Thanks for the read Amit ji. :)

      Delete
  10. Started as as my little diary :) but it grew to be more than that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to write stories,poems in diaries before I blog, I shared my opinion by sending letters to newspapers. Now Blogging gives me platform to share my thoughts with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no better platform. I totally agree, Cifar :)

      Delete
  12. I blog because it is one of those things that makes me feel special. It is one thing that I take time and patience to produce. One of the outlets where I can establish an identity for myself and be unique. I also like re-reading my posts after a long time. Me like Nostalgia. In doing so, I would once again continue to produce works without stagnation.

    Btw, I think I remember we wrote a similar post long time back, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wishes for you to blog more Akash :)

      No,I don't remember I wrote a similar post earlier.

      Delete
  13. Great topic. And great to know how nice it makes you feel. I blog for the fun of it and I also blog as way to store my thoughts, as a legacy:) Probably some day when I am no more, my son might read them out to his children..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash. Even I wish my kids to read my blog someday. May our legacies be carried forward. :)

      Delete
  14. Felt so good reading this. My reasons are similar, yet slightly different too. I never liked the idea of uploading tons of pictures on FB. Plus as you said, doing this is so much more satisfying!
    Keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have made you felt good. Thank you, Priyanka :)

      Delete
  15. I agree... Blogging has changed me... It has made me more responsible (when I watch movies and read books, I know I want to observe so that I can write an unbiased review... when I make kolam or mehandhi, I try to be perfect and try to snap the best pictures). The creative side is satisfied and the need to express is also met. it is overwhelming when there are people who read and comment about it... I feel important and as if i have accomplished something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling of accomplishment changes us a lot. Thanks Loco :)

      Delete
  16. Wonderful expression..Meera. So honest and sincere. i was a bit like you...never thought of writing stuffs...though won some writing contests through out my academic years. I had started blogging as if it was an electronic diary..not knowing its actuality. Now days I blog because...it makes me happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know, Tina. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  17. Well-written dear! Everyone blogs for their own reasons, some monetary some not so, but blogging has indeed created a wonderful virtual world out there. I enjoy writing which makes me blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very valid reasons. I guess most of us blog for almost the same reasons that you mentioned. Its a medium where we find ourselves through what we write. I am equally proud of myself for creating the blog. And then I too found some great friends in the process which I never thought about before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that.. We own a blog and so we have more than one reason to be proud of. Good to see you here, Jyotsna. :)

      Delete
  19. Indeed.. I blog for the same reason too, I use to write a diary and now i put it all on the blog what my views are .. and readers have to go through the pain of reading it .. I love to put people in pain he he he he the pain of reading what i write :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know my reasons and so do I of yours :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...